Monday, September 18, 2006

“Bombs Shatter Lebanon’s Roman Legacy.” OK, its’ about the OTHER guys’ legacy, but still not something that reasonable folks want to see destroyed. The article, by Rob Sharp, is turning up all over.
(I won’t speculate on why this, rather than the many deaths associated with that brief war, is what I link to here. . . . except to say that when rockets are lobbed around without regard for human life or archaeological heritage, no side can claim the high ground.)
More pleasant distractions kept me from writing more about Gaulish research this week.
The Los Angeles County Fair, for instance, where avocados have been added to the list of Perfectly Good Foods Bastardized by Deep-Fat Frying. The L.A. County Coroner had a booth at the Fair, and my friend and I bought t-shirts, hats, and other souvenirs. You can get some for a dearly beloved at their store, Skeletons in the Closet.
Then there were Saturday soccer games. . . . I also had to watch the Dodgers blow a perfectly good first place lead. I'm not worried; they are as good at recovering as they are at losing.
More productively, I churned out the first of several articles on California’s Modoc War, which should appear in the November Chronicle of the Old West newspaper, and sent in an article about backups on spec (with all fingers and toes crossed).
Now, back to the Gauls.

No comments: