Thursday, May 31, 2007

Time to Write

I'm adding Poynter Online to my links because they have such great articles, such as today's from Chip Scanlon's Chip on my Shoulder Blog about finding--or rather, making--time to write.

It's a nifty piece filled with anecdotes about how Scott Turow, Anne Tyler, and others found time to write, initially, but he gives an intriguing line at the start: Writing to our circadian rhythms. I thought he was going to talk about each individual's need to find the best time of day to write.

That may seem a luxury if you're working 8 hours a day doing something else, but I think everyone has a particular time of day when they do their best work. Mine is first thing in the morning. I plan my day based on that. I have plenty of time to putz around with research, outlining, and editing, but I save my first couple of hours in the day for the work that is most important.

No comments: