Saturday, January 10, 2009

How many books did you read in 2008?


I read 38.

I won't bore you with the list. Some were kid's books, like Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke, but that doesn't mean they were short. In fact, the shortest book was probably The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Thank you to Frances Dinkelspiel and her blog Ghost Word for this topic! She read 35 books, and had one of her own published: Towers of Gold, about early Los Angeles history. Here is Frances' interview with a woman (Sarah Weinman) who read 462...yup, four hundred and sixty-two...books in 2008. I suspect there's a portrait of Weinman in her attic--a portrait with bleeding eyes.

38 suits me fine. So there.

(well, one I'm still working on: Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

No, I did not buy it just to be trendy. I've actually had it for 3 or 4 years, because I'm a Lincolnophile, but am just now getting around to reading it. For the record, it's entertaining and very kind to Mary Lincoln.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I was feeling good about my 29 books completed in 2008... I thought certainly Weinman must be a retiree, or speed reads to the point of incomprehension, so it's a bit distressing to see that neither is true. Anyway, something to aspire to!